Conversion of Cellulose to Amylose can make Biodegradable plastic

poyelohunnu

A study was carried out by Dr. Zhang of Virginia Polytechnic Institute  and State University in Blaskburg and co. They converted cellulose into amylose with the use of genetically modified E. Coli and genes from certain species of fungi and plants. The process was able to covert 30% of the cellulose, the remaining 70% was fermented into ethanol and used for biofuel.

 

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/04/could-wood-feed-the-world.html?ref=hp#.UW17Kd-qbLI.reddit

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/18/7182

 

View original post

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s